Monday, January 14, 2008

Life and Times of Dolorous Sutton

This is a short play
I wrote for the Roundabout theater
company for a
interview project.
It was first Preformed on !0/28/08
Life and Times of
Dolorous Sutton

(Onstage their an man with a notepad sitting across from older woman. She has a bag under her chair.)

Jay: Are you O.K with us taping this? (She nods) Well O.K than we are interviewing Dolores Sutton.

Dolores: Well that not evens my real name.

Jay: Oh, wow.

Dolo.: Well there is a funny story about my name.

Jay: Can you explain.

Dolo.: Well I did a radio show when I was attending NYU. This young man ask me to do a reading of a radio play, I’m forget the name of it. I remember it was in 30 Rock.

Jay: 30 Rock?

Dolo.: 30 Rockefeller center. The one with the tree, anyway that’s where a lot of radio plays where preformed there. So we went and they loved us. Afterwards they ask my name and I said “I am Dolores Silverste-

(A man enters. Dolores turns to him, he cuts her off.)

Man: SUTTON!!(Grabs her pulls her a side.) From now on you are Dolores Sutton.

Dolo.: But, my name is Silverstein!

Man: NO! NO! No! I shall name you Sutton! (He exits)

Dolo.: (going back to her seat) Dolorous Sutton, eh.

(SHRUG)

(Jay notices the chair)

(The chair is small and a little odd)

Jay: I can’t help myself; I got to ask about that chair.

Dolo.: Oh, that. (Now moving toward the chair) their use to two of these chairs. It’s a funny story. (Thinking pause) Are you frailer with Zero Mostel?

Jay: Yes, yes I am.

Dolo.: Well I was in a show call Rhinoceros and he was my co-star. He was the biggest man I ever saw and he looked at me and said:

(Zero enters)

Zero: I bet you think I can’t sit in this chair? That I’m to big… well?

Dolo.: Well, uh… please I-

Zero: I bet you think I’ll break it? Well…

(Blackout)
(She sits down)
Jay: Wow.

Dolo.: I forgot what happen after that my memory is… (Jesters) Well, you know it was not all fun and games.

Jay: Like how?

Dolo: Well, I did a show called (?) in Washington; D.C with my friend Mickey was my co-star in a mixed cast. (Jay moves his chair to the side [like a cab driver] and black woman brings on a chair and sits next to Dolores is still an old woman. She talks as the others are in still pictures.) So when we got there we took a cab from the theatre to the hotel. (Thinking pause) When we got to the hotel we both got out of the cab and I remember the cab stopping me and saying.
(She now joins the two players and becomes a younger woman. The two ladies get up and start to leave.)

Cabby: Where are you going?

Dolo.: What? Well, in the hotel.

Cabby: No your hotel is down the way there. This hotel is from colors only.

Mickey: What do you mean?

Cabby: That only you can stay here. (Pause) I’ll get your bags.

(Long Chilling Pause. He than goes for the bags [real bags are your choice].)

Dolo.: NO!

Cabby: What?

Dolo.: I’m staying with Mickey. (A short cold stare between the Cabby and Dolores) I’ll get our bags!

(People are walking in from stage left. Mickey and Dolores walk hand and hand toward the crowd of upset and shocked faces. They all walk-off slowly including Mickey.)

Dolo.: (walking back to her seat) the faces I saw will never forget. But that was a long time ago in…1950 something. So did I answer your Questions, honey?

Jay: Yes, thank you.

Dolo.: Oh, I have some pictures I can show you. Do you what to see them?

Jay: That will be great.

(She gets up and walks off right. Jay sits there thinking as lights dim. Pictures of Dolores are projected behind him then, total blackout.)

No comments: